Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saturday, December 19, 2009-

The letter has arrived. It’s ARGENTINA folks. That is where my younger sister, Maria, will be going for Rotary exchange next year. Maria is seventeen years old, currently a senior at Northfield High School, and the epitome of fun. If you looked up the word spontaneous in the dictionary, you’d find her picture. She is known to throw random picnics in the Arboretum with friends, is trendily up to date on the latest alternative musicians while in love with photography and the arts, she maintains an avid exerciser routine, is the strangest sneezer I’ve ever met, has a not so hidden love for Blueberry Muffin Tops cereal, speaks better Spanish than she gives herself credit for, and is the youngest relative on both sides of the family yet certainly not the least. She infamously sleeps on a swinging bed on our veranda from Spring to Fall, enjoys hot tubs with friends and family, whips up a mean Betty Crocker Confetti Cake (if she doesn’t eat all the batter first), has seen every episode of FRIENDS from start to finish, is the best reader of peoples’ moods that I’ve ever met, can always make me smile, and, as enforced by the fact that I am getting choked up writing all of this, has been, still is, and always will be my best friend.

Maria, I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed you this year. But I also can’t begin to tell you how excited I am for your very own escapade to Argentina. I am proud of you, thrilled about the experience you’ll encounter in South America, and anxious to see how far you’ll go in life with all of your many talents and connections.

You’ve told me before that you try to live up to the standard I’ve set before you; well you’re that and more, girl! Just know that there’s no way you’re making it through your exchange year without me coming to visit because I simply cannot only see you for one measly month in two full years. That’d be too tough on this old kid! I love, love, love you and will be by your side all the way until Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, Summer, 2010 when you get to start out on your very own adventure. After that you’ll be the one looking over your shoulder at me! I can’t wait to see where these next couple years take you. Hold on for the ride, you’re in for the time of your life. – Sammy

I found this tonight on YouTube and nothing could possibly fit better! Jason Mraz's song Make It Mine is exactly what I want for you (and every other exchange student for that matter) but the fact that it is in Argentina just made me know I had to share this with you. I can already imagine you in a crazy clapping, cheering, singing, Spanish crowd totally in love with the world!

Make It Mine - Jason Mraz

Wake up everyone

How can you sleep at a time like this

Unless the dreamer is the real you

Listen to your voice

The one that tells you to taste past the tip of your tongue

Leap and the net will appear

~~~

I don't wanna wake before

The dream is over

I'm gonna make it mine

Yes I... I will own it

I'm gonna make it mine

Yes I'll make it all mine

~~~

[BUENAS NOCHES ARGENTINA]

~~~

I keep my life on a heavy rotation

Requesting that it's lifting you up

Up up and away

And over to a table at the gratitude cafe

~~~

And I am finally there

And all the angels they'll be singing

Ah la la la ah la la la ah la la la la la love this

~~~

Well I don't wanna break before

The tour is over

I'm gonna make it mine

Yes I, I... I will own it

I'm gonna make it mine

Yes I'll make it all mine

~~~

Oh timing's everything

And this time there's plenty

I am balancing

Careful and steady

And reveling in energy that everyone's emitting

~~~

Yeah I don't wanna wait no more

No, I wanna celebrate the whole world

I'm gonna make it mine

Because I'm following your joy

I'm gonna make it mine

Because I... I am open

I'm gonna make it mine

That's why... I'm gonna show it

I'm gonna make it, all mine

Mmmmm Gonna make gonna make gonna make gonna make it make it make it mine

It's mine... it's mine, it's mine, oh mine, oh mine, oh it's mine, it's, oh it's mine

Yes I will make it all mine...

~~~

Here's another great live version from New York. The sound doesn't cut out at the end on this one. Songs like this are why Mraz is one of my all time favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Mclgw89nk

~~~

Now for basically everyone else, sorry about that, I could have just told you to skip to the end! Today I went for a little photography walk, thinking about Maria and just where she'll be at this time next year. I laughed when I thought about how you’re going to take so many of these little photo strolls next year. Yours are going to be loads better, but here are a couple shots I took walking through my neighborhood here in Nakagawa.

PS. That picture above of the little girl statue is what I’m sure you still look like in Mom and Dad’s eyes, so cut ‘em some slack if they get a little tripped up with all of the Christmas/Rotary/kids-leaving-home/why’d-they-have-to-grow-up-so-fast stuff ;) I know you’ll hold down the fort well

PPS. Don’t worry Mom, you still have my permission to cry!

Sunsets and Graveyards. Apparently my two favorite subjects to shoot
Oh, and trees too...
Can you see the cat? She's watching me
The red door pointing straight North. I took it to be a sign from Santa. Haha =)
A single strip of plastic coating allows for an almost private glimpse into this warehouse
RUST
Fancy pants tree
Followed by the fanciest manhole covers I've ever seen. FYI this image pretty much captures my time so far in Nakagawa!
Props if you can decipher this one! Hint: thinks trees and bushes

3 comments:

  1. Damned SAM!
    I love your pictures so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2009-2010 B.B.Y.A (Best Brother of the Year award) xo Weavers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed your baby sis is incredibly awesome... and we say she was molded by her big brother! I second the motion for BBYA!
    Christmas hugs from the Eckhoffs

    ReplyDelete