Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thursday, March 25 – Sunday, March 28, 2010-

The Kobayashi’s go to Kayabuki no Sato Yakushi Onsen Hatago in Gunma Prefecture!

The past few days have been some of my favorite here in Japan so far. The arrival of Sumie’s aunt, Noriko, from Las Vegas brought us a reason to entertain. The Kobayashi’s recently went to visit her this past January and while there they visited some of Noriko’s friends, the Wang’s. Well now, along with Noriko’s husband Al, they will be touring Japan over the next few weeks. Their journey got off to a darn good start, I’d have to say, with an incredible visit to the onsen hot spring region of Gunma Prefecture about four hours west of Tochigi. Located up in the mountains and forests, the Kayabuki no Sato Yakushi Onsen Hatago is an extremely traditional Japanese style hot spring inn.

It was without a doubt the nicest place I’ve stayed at during my seven months here in Japan. The buildings were all extremely old fashioned, while still being remarkably comfortable. To make it even better, the food that they served us was of the very highest quality and cooked in styles that you won’t find anywhere else but in Japan.

A group of 14 of us (the Kobayashi’s, our six guests, Sumie’s parents, older sister, and myself) first enjoyed a fresh unagi lunch at the Kobayashi’s store before taking a rental bus from Nakagawa all the way to the inn. I think the Kobayashi’s and Wang’s were actually happy to have me there to help translating as well. Poor Noriko would have had her hands full trying to go back and forth for a group that large! But to be honest, I was more than happy to do it; it’s a reward in itself knowing that I’ve come far enough to do so. After arriving, seeing our awesome rooms, enjoying a fantastic (and seeming limitless) dinner, we enjoyed a hot spring that can hardly be described in words. For the best pictures I encourage you to visit the website (http://www.yakushi-hatago.co.jp/en/index.html) simply look at the first picture below and you’ll see what I mean. Spoiler Alert – Waterfalls!

That night we slept on comfortable tatami and futon beds, breakfast the next morning as extravagant as dinner (honestly one of the best I’ve had to date here in Japan), and the morning spent in hot springs, making our own soba noodles and mochi rice cakes, all before boarding the bus for our ride home. For a look at our Soba adventure check out the hotel’s blog (http://yhatago.exblog.jp/). Along the way back to Tochigi we stopped at a famous glass village where you could buy any imaginable trinket or charm made out of glass.

Dinner last night was without a doubt some of the freshest sushi that I’ve ever had. As you can see from the picture of the restaurant at right, it was all fancy wooden rooms surrounding a shallow pool of different fish swimming in the center. As you ordered your food the chef would come out with a net, snatch your own little fishy, and minutes later your plate full of fresh sushi would be sitting in front of you. We ordered Red Snapper, or Tai, and the entire meal was then based off of that one fish. We had delicious sashimi, served in three styles, one with your own hand-grated wasabi, another with radish and scallion sauce, and a third on a scrumptious lettuce leaf wrap with leak, cucumber, and a special sauce made only at that restaurant. We later enjoyed the fish skin, rice balls, and miso soup all made from the remaining meat and bones of that same fish. Nothing goes to waste.

The Wangs, Noriko, and Al, are now off to their next destination but we are planning on meeting up with them again soon in Tokyo. I’ll be sure to fill you in with our next escapades soon. For now, the pictures will tell a better story than any more words. ENJOY

Yuki and Masahito all set to go. Our own private bus came straight to our front door
A private meal outside the Kobayashi's store
The Kobayashi Bus!
Arriving at the inn. The location is perfect, nestled right down between the mountains of western Gunam Prefecture
Carp flags flying overhead
The entry gate
Welcome to the Kayabuki Inn
Woah! A bear! Do you see it?
Masahito in the resort's lobby room
The inside of our room. From here you can see the balcony and private all wooden bath. There were actually two more rooms beyond this one
Masahito and his Aunt, Miyoko
Yukata (the name for a lighter version of the kimono). This is what I wore almost the whole stay
My feet!
Yuki and Sumie as we explored the different buildings and museums within the complex
The interior was as decorative as the outside, including very interesting paper and bamboo lamps such as these
The valley and mountains stretching out behind us
The beginning of our incredible dinner
Bella, Yuki, and Hiroshi exploring the dinner table as we sat down. It was a traditional pit style table with a fire burning in the center. The building itself was also an extremely old style, including a rare grass straw thatched roof
A meal I'll remember for years to come. I couldn't even begin to count how many courses we had, I'd guess it was somewhere around seven or more.
My dinner table crew
Oh Japan...
A terrific cedar pine bath that took me straight back to the saunas of Minnesota's north woods. For you Beske family readers, the smell made me think immediately of the Boathouse Inn!
The next morning while making soba noodles
Don't worry, Grandma, you haven't been replaced! =)
I was on the best team while making soba noodles (Sumie's parents had all the experience)
Hirsohi, Noriko, and Sumie
Mochi
Masahito working the rice cakes while Bella and Sori look on
The crew as we make mochi
Myself, Masahito, and Jayden in front of a lavish display used for the boy's holiday coming up this spring
The Glass Factory
Masahito outside of a 7-Eleven convenience store. The Japanese love their "conbinis" as they call them =)
Bella, Jayden, and Sori standing next to the 300 plus dollar giant crab tank
Clash of East and West - Kimono-clad waitress uses high tech ordering system
Red Snapper at its best.
Deep fried fish skin, those curly flakes on it are actually the scales

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam!

    How R U? Still enjoying your stay in Japan. Let me know when you are back in Denver. Maybe, we will drive up to see you.

    By the way, do you have the Kobayashi's email address? I have their email address to cell phone which don't work in States.

    Talk to you again soon. Take care!

    Sori Wang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sori,
    I hope you see this because I don't seem to have your contact information either...hmmm =\ sorry about that.
    The Kobayashi's email address that I have is that eel@guitar.ocn.ne.jp
    Does that not work from the US? Hmmm, I know that their home address is:
    Kobayashi Hiroshi
    Nakagawa-machi, Ogawa 2874-3
    Nasu-gun, Tochigi-ken, Japan
    324-0501
    Hopefully that works for you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vac. Looks fun...Sameo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam,

    Silly me. I forgot to give you my contact info. I was afraid that people around the world will see my private info. Anyway, here it is. My personal email address is msbenelliwang@yahoo.com. I would really appreciate it if you could pass it along to the Kobayashi Family.

    I have the same email address for them, but it does not work from U.S. I will try it again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Thanks!

    Sori

    ReplyDelete