Friday, December 18, 2009

Friday, December 18, 2009-

I’m so full!

I have nothing more to add than that! I ate far too much today (as is appropriate for this season), and I am sure I’m steadily adding on the pounds. True fact for youth exchange: almost everyone comes home a couple kilos heavier. It doesn’t matter much where you go because like I wrote the other day, grandmas are universal. So expect to constantly be fed “the local food.” Everyone will want to make sure you’ve tried: Mochi rice cakes, mikan oranges, dried kaki persimmons, Tochigi strawberries (used on the cake at right), sweet potato pies, fresh grilled Ayu sweetfish, salted Ayu sweetfish, wrapped Ayu, Ayu in brown sauce, Ayu with fish eggs inside, Ayu with seaweed, Seaweed with Ayu heads, grilled Unagi, wrapped Unagi, Unagi with marinade….Do you get my point yet??? There are always local dishes that exchange students are ritualistically force-fed. Don’t think your area has them? I can almost guarantee that any exchange student who has come to my town of Northfield would have a list looking something like this: Malt-O-Meal cereal, Blue Monday coffee, Crazy Day’s Quality Bakery Alaskan donuts, hot cider, Northfield High School ala cart pizza, Arby’s curly fries, holiday cookies, eggnog, innumerable types of cheese all the way from cheddar to cake, tater tots, egg salad, multiple hot dishes, Jell-O and it’s accompanying assortment of dishes you’d bring to a Lutheran Pot Luck, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup cereal, corn on the cob, walleye, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and who could forget literally gallons of milk [to go on top of their cereal, of course].

Huh, what do ya' know? That basically became a list of all the kinds of food I've had a longing for! = ) Mmmmm

Anyway, today in my food design class I made a “Christmas Cake” with two friends, Omori-Kun and Asami-Chan. It was delicious, yet incredibly sweet as we used real cream, tons of sugar, strawberries, and peaches! Grandma, you would have approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment