Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wednesday, October 21, 2009-

Two months in Japan! Can you believe it? I’ve been here for two months already. In many ways it’s felt like time has zoomed past, giving me only the slightly chance to take everything in. Yet I do feel like I’ve learned so much during my time here. I’ve discovered what a busy-body I truly am, I’ve learned that absorbing a new language and culture is far more demanding than I expected, and that I will ALWAYS reach out to the international student because I know what I whirlwind of excitement and homesickness they are going through. I am thankful for everything that Rotary has done for me so far and I am anxious for what lies ahead.

Tonight I am happy to report that I was invited to the Rotary meeting. Once a month my sponsoring Rotary club has an evening meeting where they basically eat, laugh, and drink until late in the night. Tonight some of the highlights were me giving a brief speech about what I’d been up to, one of the Rotarians writing a poem about a bottle of sake, we each had individual fires on our trays that roasted pork, and me eating a mouthful a ginger that I thought was tempura! It was quite fun to be honest, and although only one of the members is under 50 years of age I enjoyed the company and atmosphere. I can’t imagine what will come in my next 9 months!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the two month milestone! I really enjoy reading about your days and adventures! Thanks for sharing!
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete