Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday, October 19, 2009-

Eleven Simple Pleasures In My Day (I first wrote ten but then remembered another one, so I just made it eleven):

1) I woke up early and the family and I Skyped for a bit because we hadn’t talked in quite a while

2) I found a bunch of music on iTunes that I had forgotten about and enjoyed listening to the whole playlist on my way to and from school

3) I read a book in Spanish and realized both how much I miss it and also how far I have to go in Japanese before I reach the point I’m at in Spanish. But I’m okay with it

4) I had a stick of ‘Zebra Gum’ that my family had sent over to me (of course I used the blue tattoos, Maria, duh!)

5) I explained the concept of “the day before yesterday” to someone in my homeroom class. He couldn’t believe we don’t have just one word for it like the Japanese do: Ototoi 一昨日

6) In my fishery course today we canned trout. It was my first experience of the sort, and I laughed as I filled can after can with tiny pinches of salt because I felt like we were working in some sort of Japanese fish-school factory…oh wait, we kind of were!

7) I taught Oshima-Sensei (the librarian) all about Christianity, Judaism, and Islam and what on earth a “Methodist” was. It was funny plus I used only Japanese so she was proud of me = )

8) At school my friend Rie (aka the hottest girl in school) told me that my Japanese was coming along well, score!

9) After school instead of going home I biked the opposite direction for a kilometer or two because for weeks now I’ve seen this tower overlooking the town of Bato (the larger of the two villages that joined to make Nakagawa – it’s confusing.) Anyway, I’d really wanted to go see the view from the top and it was well worth the hike. No seriously I had to get off my bike and hike up a mountainside with carved steps and everything just to get to the top. I’ve posted pictures below

10) I made it 24 pedals going “no hands” on my bike. I’m trying to teach myself how to steer with no hands. I’m not so good…

11) When I got home my 43 year-old host brother and I talked for a while because he still hadn’t left for home yet. He said he felt so bad for me because there’s nothing to do in Nakagawa and that I was surrounded by old people…In a small way this made me feel better = )

The salt cans
Over these hills and across the river lies the sleepy little town of Ogawa
The larger town Bato, it is about 20-30 minutes bike ride from my house. If you look closely you can see my school on top of the tiny hill in the middle

1 comment:

  1. Sam,

    So glad that you are finding ways to enjoy the simple pleasures of your day. Hang in there, you will make this work.

    (I just won't think about you riding bike without the use of your hands, without a helmet, and with your headphones on as you bike up the hills...see I'm still your mother.)

    I'm very proud of you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete