Sunday, June 13, 2010

Saturday, June 12 & Sunday, June 13, 2010-

I’m determined not to weigh down this last week’s blogs in the difficulty of good-byes and last-times but instead to reflect on how far I’ve come in one year and all of the incredible things I’ll be taking away from my exchange when I do come home.

(Right: The Tochigi District Rotarians, Inbound Students, Outbound Students, Host Families, and Rotex 2009-2010)

Therefore at our final Tochigi District meeting today, I kept my mind off of the future, and onto the present and past. Us five exchange students: Amberly Thomson from Canada, Max Beard from Florida, Anaïs Verderi from France, and Simon Sigier also from France, have had such an amazing journey together since our first meeting back at Mt. Fuji in August of last year. We each came knowing hardly any of the language, uncertain about what kind of life we would have for the next few months, and how we were ever going to survive a whole year as an exchange student in this foreign land!! The challenges and obstacles along the way may have been many, yet the accomplishments and growths that we have achieved are even more.

This tiny district of Tochigi Japan may only have five inbound students, a mere few compared to the fifty or sixty of my district back home, but what we lack in numbers we make up for in connection and well organized leadership. The district Rotarians here have gone above and beyond anything I could ever have asked for out of my exchange, providing us with monthly events, multiple overnight outings, and of course that unforgettable welcoming orientation back in August. We owe much of our success this year to their hard efforts and commitment.

And finally there are the wonderful ROTEX students of Tochigi-ken! I’m sure that I echo the minds of my four peers when I say that the friendship, encouragement, patience, knowledge, support, and guidance that they as previous exchange students have shared with us current ones made all the different to our years!! To these Rotex I want to extend first a deep bow (Japanese style) and then a giant hug (American style!) because they above all others have taught me how important it is during an exchange to not only absorb the local culture, but to also bring parts of your own to mix with it. Each and every one of them still carries on the lessons of their exchanges while back at home, just like I hope to do when I return to Minnesota.

So it was that I had to bid many of these friends farewell this afternoon, but I told myself that it wouldn’t be long until we met again, especially since I told them all to come visit me in Minnesota asap. Mom, start preparing the guest bedroom, we’re havin’ a couple guests!! =)

The awesome five exchange students from Tochigi headed on exchange next year
Us five students receiving our diplomas. Me, Anaïs, Amberly, the District Governor, Max, Simon, and our favorite Matsuba-San
Just some of our ever so flattering snap shots of the day. I think it's an unspoken competition between all of us to see who can have the strangest facial expressions for some of these...or maybe it's just Amberly!!
Anaïs loves her "Peace Signs"
Next year's exchangies
Simon and Amberly
Out to Kaitenzushi with Chisaki, Max, Anaïs and some of the other Rotex
Eriko, the Rotex president, and I
Saying a long good-bye in the parking lot with Anaïs and Chisaki
~~~
PS. Any thoughts on the new background? How's it compare to the yellow-ish background?

2 comments:

  1. Sam,
    Good job on just enjoying the last get togethers and focusing on the time you have and have had together. As my host mother said-I will never say "goodbye", only "until next time".
    Naomi
    P.S. I like this background. It goes well with the stories of traveling and adventures you have recorded here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam,
    Reading this post reflects the many emotions and events I experienced when leaving my adventures last year. So much has happened during your year, but there's still time to fit more quality time in before you return. Enjoy!
    ~Rachel M
    I also like the new background:)

    ReplyDelete