Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday, November 19, 2009-

Another short post today. It seems that things certainly do come in ups and downs here in on exchange.

Like I posted yesterday, the Kobayashi Family at whose fish shop I’ve been helping every day after school this week, is not able to host me during December and January as they will be on vacation for two weeks. But they called Rotary back today and said that they still really want to host me. Therefore starting January 20th until April 4th I will move to their home! I am so excited. The family is young and fun, the kids are great, the apartment is modern and comfortable, the store is unique, the grandma treats me like a god, and I can already tell that I will not want to leave. Today Grandma Kobayashi practically fed me a whole meal when I got to the shop! That’s her to the right. She is packaging Ayu sweetfish. My snack included two whole grilled Ayu fish, a sweet cake in the shape of a fish, a sweet tea anko treat, grapes, and hot green tea. All sitting next to the furnace

This means that I will move to my following host family in April, but I do not know for how long. Maybe until July, but I’m not positive. That family should also be lots of fun- the Shiozawa’s. They have three children. At first I thought it was three boys, but I recently found out it is two boys and a girl, one of the children is married, and the youngest boy just went to university in Tokyo. They own a Soba restaurant in the mountains, will drive me to school each day, and the old grandpa also lives at their house. It should be another exciting place to live. I know January is in many ways just around the corner, but I wish it would hurry up! It’s a good thing I have several fun plans to look forward to this winter.

More random snap shots of Nakagawa, Enjoy…

Several views of the mountains to the west, rising above Nakagawa town...
The beautiful Nakagawa river as it rushes toward the ocean over 80 kilometers away

1 comment: