Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday, October 30, 2009-

Fishery Party!
It doesn’t get any easier than my day today. I spent the first two hours of class helping cook curry and rice, my third hour was craft design and then for the rest of the day the three fishery classes all went to the fishery where we had a fall festival. I provided the decorations, believe it or not. My mom’s package came yesterday followed by my aunt and uncle’s today. They were to two perfect pick-me-ups that I needed. Inside Mom’s package were a couple of ghost and pumpkin decorations that I surprised everyone with today at school. A quick note on Halloween, although I’m trying to tell myself otherwise I know that tomorrow will be a tougher day then most. The fact that Japan does not celebrate Halloween means that it will be just another day to them, but a special one for me. It’s an odd recognition.
But the party today was a blast. It started by making fishing poles out of freshly picked bamboo, grilling sweet fish around a camp fire, and enjoying the beautiful 60 degree weather (So Japanese, right?). That's right, that is a camera crew filming our school event in the background! After eating we divided into teams in order to stand around the center tank which had been filled with fresh rainbow trout. The atmosphere was casual yet exciting, well still being slightly competitive. The winning team did take home a big bag of candy!
For half an hour each team was given one pole in order to snag as many rainbow trout as possible. I think I helped catch two fish but my team still fell short of the prize. One team took in 22 fish!! It was nonstop laughing and genuinely enjoying fish. I couldn’t help but smile (there’s a reference to Rachael Stets’ last blog if you haven’t read it yet). Great day, great weather, great package in the mail (thank you so much Chuck and Cindy!), and the good news that the boys’ soccer team is going to the Metrodome! I was so cheesy proud of them when I rushed home to check the results online. Wish I could see it so badly, hopefully I will get a chance to catch up on it soon.
I told you the weather today was perfect!

1 comment:

  1. They don't celebrate Halloween?! I thought that was universal. I suppose you can't dress up then. Might look a little weird if you are the only one dressed up.

    ReplyDelete