Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thursday, February 18, 2010-

As I hunker down for a night of Olympics and books (I am about to finish my first Arthur Conan Doyle's novel - Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles. Very fun reading! I started this morning and haven't been able to put it down all afternoon) I leave you with just a few photos from humble Nakagawa, Japan...
The snow and frost have come and gone, come and gone over the past week. This morning it was coming down so hard I could hardly see across the schoolyard, but by the end of the day it had all melted and reached a high of 55°. Strange weather
A pheasant (the national bird of Japan) slowly picked its way across this open yard. They truly are one of the most beautiful birds. I understand why the Japanese have always held them in such high regard
The setting sun lights a small thicket
A reflection off of the river. That is a short waterfall where the water cuts off, but the ducks and cranes like to rest on this flat sheet of water above. It makes for a perfect mirror of the sky overhead
Anyone who can tell accurately answer how many cats are in this picture will win a prize...
I'll ship one of the furry little fellas over to you!
Ps. That's actually my house in the background
I like the bright flowers in the middle. They look like colorful little microphones for a tiny stone chorus

3 comments:

  1. You pictures are beautiful Sam, thanks for sharing them!
    Does your host family watch the Olympics as well? It is a good experience to watch something international from outside your home country.
    Enjoy Sherlock Holmes!
    Take care,
    Naomi
    P.S. There are three cats in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos, thank you for sharing! I'm sure it is interesting to watch the Olympics from Japan. Are they as excited about the winter events as the US?
    Good choice for a book, enjoy!
    ~Rachel
    There are three cats (good job catching them all there, in the same positions:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Oops, nothing like hearing things twice-sorry, I didn't read N's post first!)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete