Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday, February 21, 2010- [6 Month Mark]

At this time exactly six months ago I was driving through the highways of Tokyo, heading to a Rotary Orientation at the base of Mt. Fuji. I can’t begin to describe everything that has transpired since then, so thank heavens I’ve kept a record to look back on. The highlights, adventures, and achievements have certainly been grand, yet I would not be true to the experience if I did not acknowledge the challenges, lessons, conflicts, and emotional checks that these past 191 days have been (I counted them out!). I hope I have been faithful to the program throughout the Fall and Winter, now we’ll just have to wait and see what the Spring and Summer bring my way.

I actually had a conversation with my local counselor this evening and it looks like I’ll be flying back home to America on July 13th. That leaves me another 142 days to enjoy Japan. I hope I can continue to bring a flare of the Orient straight to all of you back home. In keeping with the Japanese spirit, I figured I’d share a couple shots of my host grandma working in the fish store. If this isn’t a true Japanese granny I don’t know what is!! She’s cleaning Unagi, or fresh water eels. Haha you’d never guess they were one of the most delicious foods I've had here =D

Watch her fillet the eel in the video below
The Unagi Baba
Taking out the spine...
And finally skewering the livers to fry up, yum (not! actually these are pretty gross, I don't enjoy them as much as the fillets)

2 comments:

  1. is that the official eel filleting hat? or is that just her rockin the traditional Japanese gramma wear? Let me know. ASAP! xoxo scrap

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could bring some of that eel home to minnesota for meeeee!

    ReplyDelete