Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wednesday, January 6 & Thursday, January 7, 2010-

Skiing! It is one of my absolute favorite ways to spend a winter day. Today, along with 7 different people from Bato High School, I went to the impressive Hunter Mountain Ski Resort for an incredible day of powder, speed, laughs, and fun.

The ever so generous and inviting Yoshida-Sensei planned the whole event. He picked me up yesterday afternoon and drove me to his home in Nasushiobara city 45 minutes north of Nakagawa. Nasushiobara is more of a region than one specific city. It claims a population of about 110,000 people, but it stretches from the northwest mountains to the eastern boarder. There are multiple ski areas in Nasushiobara so it’s a very successful tourist city. We arrived at Yoshida-Sensei’s house in time for dinner with his wife, 24-year-old daughter Shoko, and his wife’s mother. They were a real treat to spend the evening with and the food was top notch: sushi, fried shrimp, salad, and hot soup.

The morning started at 7am and we went nonstop all the way until 6:30 when I was dropped off back at the Sato’s. Yoshida-Sensei invited the school principle (whose name is also Sato, no relative however, Sato’s a very common Japanese last name), two of the English teachers (the wonderful pair of Funayama-Sensei and Shimanoki-Sensei), Sasaki-Sensei (one of the youngest teachers at the school, he is good friends with my neighbor Miyazaki Miki, and is a very good snowboarder), plus my two classmates Miki and Tanaka. That made a total of eight of us. Everyone had been skiing before and the school principle really impressed me by being both a talented skier, but also a good snowboarder. Ready for the surprise: I’d put him around age 50-55! Haha Besides that Yoshida and Sato-Senseis also paid for my lift ticket and ski rental! I was so grateful to them. I really, truly was placed in an incredibly generous school.

Hunter Mountain is always one of the favorite ski-getaways for people from Tokyo and today was no different. It was busy from morning to afternoon, but luckily it is quite large and I never felt crowded and hardly had to wait for chairlifts. The weather was an ever-varying mixture of snow and clear skies. The morning brought pretty thick snowfall, but by the afternoon it was only scattered flurries. I loved the whole day! Nothing more I can add besides that. It was a fantastic day. I can’t think of anywhere I would rather have spent it.

Sushi at the Yoshida's
Yoshida Sensei's family
Principle Sato, Yoshida-Sensei, Sasaki-Sensei, Miki, and Tanaka
Hunter Mountain. Fun Fact: The mascot of Hunter Mountain, far from a man with a shotgun, is half of a hard boiled egg! I know, I laughed for a long time too! The reason is that in Japanese, "Han" means half, and "Tama" is the first part of the word "Tamago" which means egg. So when you put them together you get "Hantama" which, when pronouncing it with a Japanese accent, sounds like the first part of "Hunter Mountain"
Yoshida-Sensei, Shimanoki-Sensei, and Funayama-Sensei set at the highest run. They were all really good skiers
Miki and Tanaka in the gondola
Shimanoki-Sensei, being happy like always
Snow clouds and clear skies
One of the views of the Nasushiobara mountains
View to the South East
View to the North West

1 comment:

  1. Two things:

    1.) would it possibly have made for a better day if you'd had a small furry companion who no longer fits into his santa suit due to excess consumption of scraps and occassionally small animals??? (and no, i don't mean lila)

    2.) kudos to you for using top notch, your vocabulary astounds me, i hope there's a japanese equivalent to "top-notch" it really should be used more in INGLES!!!

    guess who :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete