Friday, December 11, 2009

Thursday, December 10, 2009-

I’ve had three rather deep and thoughtful blogs in a row, which has been nice, but I think it’s time for something a little less serious: FOOD! Today at school, instead of any classes we spent the entire day making ham sausages. The town of Bato is actually known for really quality ham products because of a shop up near the cliffs. Today the owner came with a big tub of meat, cooking gear, and the much needed patience of dealing with a couple dozen 18 year old boys learning about the wiener making process (if you even dare to imagine).

Then at dinner I accomplished yet another puffer fish goal of my life- eating the notorious Fugu sashimi. It’s the meat of the puffer fish and if it’s prepared incorrectly it can be lethal! The fish is actually incredibly poisonous so it’s the running Japanese joke that you’re risking your life every time you sit down to eat it. I was excited (don’t worry the fish had been tested beforehand so I wasn’t really worried!) and am now proud to cross this off of my “Japan Experiences” list = )

The links linked ready for cooking. The ham is seasoned with salt, sugar, and a few onions
Boil for several minutes until pale and floating
Then use a large metal bowl for smoking. Lay a sheet of tin foil on the bottom, add cherry wood and sugar on top, then lay the links on a grate above. Cover the sausages as they smoke for only 4-5 minutes. Open and rotate for a couple minutes on the other side. They should come out warm, smelling delicious, and looking like...
THIS!! We luckily got to sample our hard work and I will admit that they were some of the best sausages I've ever eaten. The meat was so fresh and the cherry flavor was awesome. Delicious, I love food!

No comments:

Post a Comment