Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday, November 4, 2009-

Time for a Japanese language lesson. Don’t worry, I promise it will be fun. As I’ve slowly plowed my way upstream the raging river that is the Japanese language certain words have jumped out at me. Think of them as shiny little fish (oh no! I can’t get them out of my mind). Anyway, the Japanese have an incredible love for onomatopoeias, or at least funny words. I’ve tried to collect as many as I can yet it feels like every couple days I come across a new one that makes me laugh. Enjoy:

Barabara-Botsubotsu- Scattered about

Betsubetsu- Individual

Boribori- Munch, Crunch

Chichi- Dad

Daidai- Generation after generation

Dandan- Gradually

Dondon- Rapidly

Dorodoro- Muddy, Thick, Syrupy

Furafura- Stumbling off somewhere (it’s my host mom’s favorite response when I ask where my host father went!)

Fuwafuwa- Light, Fluffy

Garigari- Skin and bones

Girigiri- At the last moment; Grinding sounds

Gorogoro- Thunder and lightning; Purring; Rumbling stomach (that’s why little kids in Japan tell a big storm to go eat dinner- it’s stomach must be growling!)

Haha- Mom

Hatopopo- Sleepy

Jinjin- (lit. personperson) A man of virtue, Humanitarian

Kaka- Sound of laughter; Wife; Mommy

Karikari- Doughy

Kiki- Gleeful, Joyful

Kirakira- Sparkly

Kotokoto- Little bubbles, Simmering

Kurukuru- Spinning round and round

Masumasu- More and more

Merimeri-Biribiri- The sound of breaking branches

Motemote- Sexy, Popular

Nakanaka- Quite, Rather

Perapera- Fluent

Pecopeco- Starving

Poroporo- In large drops (like rain or crumbs)

Puripuri- In a huff

Shibashiba- Often, Again and again

Sorosoro-Bochibochi-Jojo- Soon, Gradually

Sorosoro- Slowly

Surusuru- Smooth

Tsuitsugi- One after another

Shitoshito- Gently

Yaya- A little, Somewhat

Yoyo- Night after night

No comments:

Post a Comment