Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday, November 6, 2009-

The fact of the matter is that Rotary has its ups and its downs. The experiences that each of us encounter are all unique, foreign, overwhelming, and exhilarating. That may seem like an odd combination of emotions to feel, yet I’ve found that each word applies to the life of a Rotary Exchange student. I might even say that at times you feel like this fish- just consider that for a minute!

Unique- You’re the only one. You have spent your life in a culture far different than that in which you are currently living. You bring different knowledge, skills, and opinions to every room you enter. It can be make you feel like a star one second and an outcast the next.

Foreign- As much as you want to absorb the new culture that you’re living in you can’t help but compare it to where you’re coming from. The language, food, people, places, and even the seasons can be so new and unpredictable to you. Eventually you will appreciate the fact that you’re in someplace foreign, yet it may take a long time before everything finally clicks.

Overwhelming- To leave your family and friends for a whole year is more than just a challenge, it is at times incredibly overwhelming. You feel sad knowing that it will be a whole year before you’re back home. Yet what keeps you going is the hope that in this new country there is a family welcoming enough to take you in and friends outgoing enough to make you feel included. What can be most overwhelming at times is the sense of self-dependence and even guilt that seems to consume your thoughts. When you’re sitting at home you feel guilty for not going out, when you’re out and about you feel guilty for not being with your host family. It takes time for you to realize that this year is completely about YOU and that you don’t have enough time to worry about every last moment. Just enjoy the one you’re living right now.

Exhilarating- There are moments when I literally sit back and realize, “Holy Crap! I’m in Japan right now!” I am exhilarated by these random flashes of awareness and take comfort in the fact that I can step back and realize what an impact this year is going to have on my life. I will return home with connections across the globe, speaking a language I’d never thought I’d learn, and competent in a completely new culture. It seems backwards to think about, but part of what makes this year so exciting is recognizing how proud I’ll be of it once I’m back home.

To those who want to study abroad in the future: Although I can tell you stories, show you pictures, and fill this blog with my own experiences, I still feel as though there is no way to prepare you for the unique, foreign, overwhelming, and exhilarating life of an exchange student. Each of you will have a very individual year yet you will all be connected by that individuality. It is something that will take on a whole new meaning once you are actually abroad. Know that there will be good moments and bad moments but the key is to cherish the golden ones and learn from those that challenged you. Best of luck, I know you’ll do great! – Sam

This is just to make you smile -

This is what I encountered upon my return from school. Apparently this is what happens when Mrs. Sato tries to fix the fax machine….

1 comment:

  1. #1 -- that picture did make me smile.
    #2 i totally had a HOLY CRAP! i am in the EUROPE! moment the other day. sometimes its easy to forget!

    and something to make YOU smile...i am sending you a mental image of the NHS cheerleaders cartwheeling around in your head "T-R-U-C-K keep on truckin all the way!"

    no? it distur-? oh. ok then. never mind.

    ReplyDelete