Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thursday, October 15, 2009-

Tougher day today. Don’t need to go into all the details but the long nights and zero social life are finally starting to wear on me. Can’t say my host family is at all encouraging in this matter so I’ve been feelin’ a little lost lately.

But besides that fact school was less work than normal today. Three hours in the library, one hour of calligraphy, and two hours of my classmates filling out trout statistics that were way over my head in Japanese so I got to read my book and sleep.

In calligraphy the past two lessons I’ve been practicing the phrase of, “Hirogaru Yume” or 広がる夢. It means, ‘a growing and widening dream.’ I have a really cool image of what this means in my mind but I’ll let you make up your own for today. Enjoy the Calligraphy, it’s much tougher than it seems! I’m by no means what you’d call, “good!” = ) But it is quite fun and it’s definitely something new.

書道 しょどう Shodou Calligraphy

1 comment:

  1. Hugs and Hellos Sam!!
    The Eckhoff fam has followed your fabulous blog anxiously waiting to hear each new adventure that you so beautifully document in your writing and your photos. We especially loved gathering around the computer to look at you giant sushi roll and of course Jeff smiles with every single fishing story that you share. But today....I pause when I read about you having tough days that have too much empty time. I easily understand how the "Amazing Master of Multi-Tasking Every Possible Opportunity Available...Sam Estenson" would struggle with little to do and minimal social life. I am quite certain that you have dug deep to find ways to creatively use your time. No doubt you are learning a valuable lesson from their culture that our busy western world could learn from.....we are far too busy and should find more time in our lives to reflect and center ourselves.
    We look forwrad to more stories about the rotary experience you are living....both the ups and downs....it makes you very REAL to hear both sides.

    MEA weekend hugs from Northfield!!
    The Eckhoffs

    ReplyDelete