Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Monday, May 10 & Wednesday, May 19, 2010-

Well I am now back home after what proved to be the trip of my exchange. Looking back on all of the incredible experiences we jammed into eight/nine short days, I can’t believe we fit it all in. The days were without a doubt some of the busiest I’ve spent during my year, but I wouldn’t trade them for any other. The opportunity to see both new and familiar places, exploring Japan with Andrew, while enjoying ourselves far too much will forever be something I look back on with a smile and a laugh. There are simply FAR too many pictures and memories to fit into one or two blog entries, so I am going to try and space them out over the next week or so, doubling up where need be. Hopefully when things settle in a bit more I’ll figure out how to steal all of Andrew’s photos and notes from his iPhone. For today, my description of day would read something like “lazy day (pause…end sentence).” But last Monday was a much more exciting one, so I’ll share some of that below.

Andrew arrived at Narita during the evening of the 10th. I had driven with Yasu and Rumi, my host brother and his wife, out to the airport to pick him up. On the way to the airport, Yasu, Rumi, and I spent a fun afternoon of shopping, eating, and waiting in anticipation! I was glad to have them there to meet Andrew as well, it was so kind of them to drive me all the way to the airport.

Andrew's first moment in Japan!

We actually watched Andrew’s airplane land from the observation deck, met him at the arrival lobby, and then the four of us went out to the first of many delicious dinners during our travels. I can’t believe I forgot to take any pictures during that meal, but I think all of us were a little too excited/tired/mentally-out-of-it to remember. Haha, anyway before we knew it we’d waved good-bye to Yasu and Rumi, and were making our way into the heart of Tokyo. The train ride is a long one! (Take warning anyone flying into Narita Airport, it is about a 60-70 minute train ride from the airport before you’re actually in the city!) But anyway, we found our way over to our hotel in Ikebukuro, and Ikebukuro quickly became one of Andrew’s favorite new words in Japanese. We checked into our small but decent hotel room for the night and as Andrew fell right asleep I made a quick run over to Kathy Tegtmeyer Pak’s. We had a good chat and I dropped off a bag that she kept for me for the week. Back to the hotel before 11 and crashed (not quite as soundly as Andrew however! Funny story, in the middle of the night he sat up in bed and said in a very loud voice “I feel like I’m trying to sleep on a rock with a sheet over it!” I made sure to mention it to him in the morning and he says he doesn’t remember it at all. Haha, welcome to Asia my friend, the beds here tend to be like rocks more often then not!!) First night – Fast, in a haze, but exciting!

Rumi pointing out Andrew's plane come by
Delta flight, landing in Narita
The crowded train stations
Ikebukuro. Andrew's first thought "What is this place"

No comments:

Post a Comment