Saturday, April 24, 2010

Friday, April 23 & Saturday, April 24, 2010-

福島県 ふくしまけん Fukushima-ken

Today, Saturday, I spent an eventful and busy day touring Fukushima-ken with my host parents. Fukushima is the prefecture immediately north of Tochigi-ken. In Japan, there are not states, but instead “Prefectures.” The grand total of prefectures now runs at 47, yet back during the Meiji reform when the prefectural system was first instituted there were as many as 300. Today Fukushima-ken is the third largest prefecture in Japan according to size, yet it ranks 18th in population. That being said, Fukushima has long been recognized as an important region for such treasures as Edo castles, endless hot springs, beautiful mountains, lots of open countryside, one of the three national cherry trees of Japan, and some of the best ramen on the entire island! I’d driven through the region once with Chisaki Iijima and her family during winter break but was very happy to return today with my host parents in order to explore the area even more!

The day started early (well, early for a lazy 19-year-old guy) at 8:30 and we were crossing out of Tochigi and into Fukushima by 9:30. A quick note on Japanese roads and driving, the fact that Japan is only the size of California does not at all imply that you can travel as quickly by car here as you can back in the states.

As the crow flies I bet I only traveled 70-80 miles north today, yet the drive still took us nearly 3½ hours. The region I’m in is so full of mountains, narrow country lanes, highway tunnels that might as well be coalmines, and thick pine forests that it takes double or triple as long to go the same distance as it would back home.

Today, once again I’ll try to take you along for the ride. The power of pictures are, as always, far more effective than any clever or insightful words I can try to come up with late on a Saturday night. I’ve been in bed here for the past hour, listening to music, uploading pictures and wondering if my life could ever have taken a bigger 180© turn from where I was a year ago at this time. Last April I was up to my neck in homework, school and a job, add trying to pick a university in there, trying to prepare yourself for graduation, readying yourself for youth exchange, and the odd Japanese tutoring session and life starts to look pretty different from my care-free days right now in quiet Nakagawa-machi, Japan. I have had time to compare both life styles during my time here and I can honestly say that I enjoy parts of both. A daily schedule that is full with exciting people, places, and events is when I succeed best, but a bit of peace and quiet has its appeal to me now also. It makes me excited to be at the University of Denver next year

[cue dramatic mountain scene]

where I know I’ll be super busy (American upbringing) but where I’ll be in charge of my own schedule and actions, leaving room for a little reflection, relaxation, and the odd hobby every now and then too (Japanese revelation).

This flock of doves buffeted in the mountain wind is one of my favorite pictures from the day. I caught it quite by accident while on the very top of the Tsuraga-jo Castle. I felt just as helpless to the powers of the world at that point as they did. Even after ascending to their heavenly level I was still shadowed by the strength of the surrounding mountains, whipped in the face by a cold blast of air that seemed to open my eyes and make me realize that I'm so very, very small on this planet. Yet that being said I've been exceedingly lucky and have seen more than most in my short lifetime. I can only pray I will experience more and more each day, constantly being reminded that:
in reality...I haven't seen anything yet
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
The streams and forests of our drive flew by in a blur, I caught this quick snapshot as we sped by a tiny mountain stream
We started the morning with a visit to Oouchi, a famous villages of houses all preserved in the old-time style, now renown for delicious county cuisine and souvenirs.
Old thatched roofs and white washed walls make this village a popular tourist attraction, the parking lot was full of buses from the cities
We ate lunch at a soba restaurant for using a whole stock of negi, or green onion, instead of chopsticks...it was a challenge, but a delicious one at that
Who'd like some nice grasshoppers?! Don't worry, they're seasoned with soy sauce =P
A drink of bees or hornets that you're supposed to drink!
No thanks, I'll leave that one to Fear Factor
Dogs + carp = excellent companions
Welcome to Tsuruga-jo Castle, home to some of the Tokogawa family, once the most powerful family in Japan. With a house like this, it'd be hard NOT to be popular and powerful!
A better setting could not be found
Japanese To-Do List #11 : Check
My host mom when she first reached the top
More views from the top
The crowds gathered out below for cherry blossom Hanami parties
I think I could simply title this one "Japan" and be set
We even took time to visit one of three ancient cherry trees in Japan hailed as national treasures. The sign is a little hard to read but it says that this Takizakura ("waterfall cherry tree" according to it's drooping branches) is from the Edo period or earlier and is over 1000 years old, some even estimate it as being close to 1800!
The great Takizakura tree of Fukushima
Proving once and for all that everyone and their dog loves sakura in Japan!
Look at how old and gnarly it is
My host parents and I
Too bad we're not as cute as that little girl jumping up and down on the right
I call this "Tree vs. Hair: Which has gone longer without being trimmed?"

No comments:

Post a Comment