Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday, November 23, 2009-

Three important things I need to share with everyone-
1) Today my friend Chisaki Iijima who was an exchange student from Tochigi to Minnesota last year came with her family to Nakagawa. It’s a national holiday (again) so we spent the day together. We had tea at my house and along with my host mom discussed the idea of a trip up north during winter break! I am pumped, it is the 23rd-24th of December and we would visit beautiful Sendai city in order to meet up with my Rotary brother Ryota who stayed at my house this past April-July. It will be great. After tea the Iijima-ke (Iijima family) took me out to soba noodles, bowling in Ogawa and over to Sakura city’s public onsen. What a fantastic day spent with a young and fun family. Chisaki’s mom’s name is Yasuko and she is always patient and encouraging to talk to, and her dad, Kyouji, is such a calm, happy-go-lucky guy. It will be a fun trip, I can already tell. Not too much longer to wait.
Chisaki visiting the Nakagawa sights...
2) You know what? I am determined to make this the best week of my exchange so far! It has gotten off to a great start; first Nasu town, now today with Chisaki. I’ve come to the difficult decision that in order to enjoy this week to the fullest I am not going to use my computer at all. The computer can be an exchange student’s best friend, but also their greatest weakness. I feel that I am far too attached to being online and am set on breaking my habit this week. I am very sad about Thanksgiving and not talking to everyone, it will certainly be difficult. Sorry everyone, but when you read number three I hope you’ll understand why…
3) You know what would make this week perfect? Some nice weather. I'd love a trip! A big trip…but where? I think I’m just gonna get up and go. Well surprise! Starting tomorrow morning at 4:30AM I’m headed to tropical Okinawa Island! If you look on the map on the left, it is in the bottom left corner. It was formerly a separate country called Ryukyu, but is now a prefecture of the nation. I am absolutely ecstatic. High schools here in Japan plan one big trip for their students. It usually takes place during the second year (lucky how that worked out) and range from Kyoto to Tokyo, Sendai to Okinawa! I am so fortunate to be included in this opportunity and my host Rotary club is abundantly generous to me in paying for it. They have paid for all the expenses (I won’t tell you a number, but it’s not cheap, that’s for sure) and on top of that have given me a ¥30,000 allowance! That’s the equivalent of $330 US.They are definitely going to get a nice thank you gift out of this!!! On top of that, as if four days in Okinawa isn’t enough, I am also set to spend Friday night and Saturday in Tokyo.

I will first visit St. Olaf’s Kathy Tegtmeyer Pak and then spend Saturday sight seeing with the other Rotary exchange students. KTP (as they call her at Olaf) has been the most welcoming, cooperative, and insightful host to work with. I cannot wait for what lies ahead! I know it will be a week I remember for the rest of my life…

So until next Sunday- Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and be sure to take a satisfying turkey-induced nap for me! All my best, Sam.

3 comments:

  1. During World War II, the Americans fought in Okinawa and there were many casualties so you will be seeing where history was made. We'll miss you at Thanksgiving. Enjoy your trip. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good trip, Sam. Excited to read about it when you get back.

    -Nick Arvidson

    ReplyDelete