Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday, June 15, 2010-

There have been moments over the past week when I’ve run into brick walls

Not literally, that would be cause for some concern, but at times I feel as if I am an Olympic sprinter, rushing forward headfirst so fast that I hardly have time to absorb the surrounding crowds. I am getting closer and closer to the finish line, and I’m certain to come out on top no matter how it finishes, but it feels like I’ve striven all year to do a 400 meter dash only to discover that there are unexpected hurdles awaiting me in the homestretch! None of these hurdles are bad or disappointing things, only sudden jolts of realization and sadness that tell me I won’t ever return to this track again. My race is ending soon and before long the baton will be passed on to another.

An example of one such hurdle came this afternoon while I stood in front of the entire Bato High School giving a going away presentation in Japanese. I was explaining my exchange, talking about all the things I have learn this year, all the adventures I’ve had and all the unforgettable memories I’ve made. And that’s when (BAM) I suddenly had a vivid flashback of one similar speech in August of last year. I was stumbling through some sort of introduction, explaining how I would be at their school for one year during which I would do my best to take the most out of my exchange as possible. It’s been a real marathon since then and I didn’t know if I would find my way at times, but today I felt an overwhelming sense of comfort knowing not only that I’ve made it, but that I’ve done it. I’ve taken my most.

Grace Lee and I
The school getting ready for my good-bye speech
This is random, but I got a couple fun snapshots out of it so I figured I'd upload them as well. It's mid-June here now and Grandpa's bonsai trees are in full bloom. A quick afternoon shower yesterday was just enough to entice outside to take a couple pictures
Toori Gate
There are literally dozens of different styles and colors of flowers in his garden
I'll maybe try to take a couple too when the weather isn't so misty and mysterious but sunny instead
雨 ~ あめ ~ Ame ~ Rain
The bees are out in force!

No comments:

Post a Comment